March was an interesting month, but also a bit lazy. Unfortunately, some of that laziness carried over into April, which is why I’m writing this retrospective now.
- Teal: Things are going great with Teal! We finished designing our dashboard and started developing it. I’m super excited about what we’re building and still feel excited about the project.
- Met someone new: I met someone new through Instagram, and we got close pretty fast. It was exciting, and I really enjoyed learning about their perspectives. (Side note: You should definitely reach out to people you admire or strangers. The returns of reaching out to people outweigh any possible downsides.)
- Broken monitor: My LG 34BK650-W-34-inch Ultrawide external monitor broke somehow, and it affected my productivity.
- Parting ways with “the someone new”: The person I mentioned above and I cordially parted ways. I felt upset initially, but I’m glad for the experiences we shared, including late-night phone calls, solving puzzles, and arguing about stuff. The process of parting ways was also interesting for me.
- Procrastinated a lot: I had a backlog of things that needed to be done, calls to be made, etc. Now, I have to painfully work through that backlog.
Books I read
- The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution by Gregory Zuckerman: This biography of Jim Simons, who I often mistake for Jim Morrison, made me think a lot about career choices and how successful people make them. It also made me curious about his hedge fund, Renaissance Technologies, which manages about $50 billion but is quite secretive.
- Somehow, I forgot to track some of the interesting blog posts I read in the past month. I will update this as they come to me.
- Not a blog post, but I enjoyed listening to the fireside chat with Whitney Wolfe, Founder and CEO of Bumble and Co-Founder of Tinder at Stanford GSB.
- I didn’t start any new courses in the past month.
- I spent quite a while watching Chamath Palihapitiya’s interviews; I find him interesting.
- Teal: Working on Teal will be my primary focus for the next couple of months.
- ChatGPT: Building a ChatGPT clone to understand LLMS better. This is a passive project.
Movies [Remember, I said it was my lazy month]
- Succession: Succession is back on TV, and it’s arguably one of the best shows on TV. I always look forward to “Succession Mondays” with Tosin.
- Power Book 2: A new season of this show has started, and I’ve watched the first three episodes. So far, so good.
- Line Of Duty: I enjoy British political and crime dramas.
- The Night Agent: Quite unremarkable, but easy to watch.
- The Dark Knight: The Batman story is hilarious (silly), and I enjoyed rewatching this.
- Duchess: British comedy; I thought it was fun to watch.